Admissions for Cross-Campus Transfer Students
The School of Education admits students for undergraduate degrees as juniors. University of Michigan undergraduate students apply during their sophomore year for transfer to the School of Education as juniors. Students should apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Students interested in teacher certification programs should attend a Teacher Certification Information Session to learn about the benefits of getting teacher certification at the University of Michigan, about our undergraduate certification programs, and more about the application process. Please check our calendar for upcoming session dates.
The application deadlines for the undergraduate teacher education program can be found on our admission deadlines page.
How to Apply
Go to www.admissions.umich.edu and select Change of College/School and review the information needed to apply to the School of Education. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Start Application. As part of the application process you will either upload or be given detailed instructions for submitting the following supplemental materials:
- Non-University of Michigan transcript(s) (official)
- Three letters of recommendation (see detailed instructions below)
An essay in which you describe the unique qualities that attracted you to the field of education and specifically to the School of Education teacher certification program
If you are an applicant to the secondary program, you will also complete an essay (500-1000 words) in response to the following prompts:
- Why did you select your major area of study (i.e., your proposed teaching major)?
- What is particularly compelling to you in this subject?
- What do you suppose might be especially valuable for students in grades 6-12 to understand from study of this subject?
- A current resume that outlines work experience and history, particularly experience with children
Letters of Recommendation
The School of Education requires three letters of recommendation: one from a college or university instructor who can address your academic abilities and two from individuals capable of assessing your ability and potential to become a successful teacher.
Secondary applicants: The first letter must come from a college or university instructor in your teaching major.
Elementary applicants: It is strongly recommended that the first letter come from a college or university instructor in your teaching major.
All letters of recommendation should be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (1220 Student Activities Building, 515 East Jefferson Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316) and must be accompanied by the appropriate School of Education recommendation form.
- View and print the School of Education Academic Recommendation form
- View and print the School of Education Recommendation form
Applications will be considered based on the following criteria:
- Minimum GPA of 2.50
- Letters of recommendation
- Application essay and, if applying for secondary program, an additional essay related to your proposed teaching major
- For non-UM students: High school SAT/ACT scores (from high school transcript) and all non-UM transcripts, including fall term grades
- Ability to complete 54 credits before you enter the program
In addition to meeting these requirements, prospective students are strongly encouraged to gain experience with children prior to entering the program (e.g., tutor, camp counselor, teacher aide).
If you have questions about the application process, please email SOE.UG.Admissions@umich.edu or call the Teacher Education office at 734.615.1528.