Forms & Guidelines

Michigan School Administrator Certificate

Last modified: September 08, 2014

Students with at least two years of professional experience in K-12 education (or a related field) in the United States are eligible to pursue the Michigan Department of Education's building-level administrator certification through the University of Michigan School of Education. Students have two options for doing so.

  • The first option is to pursue the MA in Educational Studies with the concentration on Leadership and Policy. This is a 30 credit masters' program that combines a core focus on continuous school improvement with the additional courses required for building-level administrator certification.
  • For students who already have an MA in education or a related field, the second option is to enroll as a non-candidate for degree and complete a 21 credit hour sequence in educational leadership. This option also combines a core focus on continuous school improvement with the additional courses required for building-level leadership certification.

Download the School Administrator Certificate Application & Instructions (below) and submit your completed application to the Teacher Education Program. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

For information regarding the Educational Leadership and Policy master's degree program, contact the Education Studies Program at or 734.763.9497.

For more information regarding the School Administrator Certificate, contact the Teacher Education Program at or 734.615.1528

Note: Only those who have successfully completed the required coursework, experience, and internship requirements for the school administrator certificate at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor are eligible to complete this application. Do not submit this application until you have completed all requirements and submitted your signed Course Planning Sheet to the OSA.

Application Checklist

Please submit all forms to the Teacher Education office at the address at the top of the page.

  • Submit completed Application for Michigan School Administrator Certificate.
  • Submit official transcripts (if applicable). If you took any non-UM coursework that was approved by a School of Education faculty member to support your application for the administrator certificate,please provide official transcripts for those courses. It is not necessary to provide transcripts from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
  • Submit completed Criminal Background Affidavit for School Administrator Certificate.
  • Apply for the school administrator certificate on the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS)

Download cloud_download