Forms & Guidelines
Media Services PolicyLast modified: July 23, 2014
SOE Media Services provides a wide range of audio/visual recording and conferencing equipment. We have digital audio recorders, video cameras, and a variety of microphones for many different recording situations. We have a Polycom VSX 7000S for enterprise, standards-based video conferencing as well as a mobile Skype cart that can be delivered to any room with an Ethernet connection for more impromptu video or audio conference sessions. The Skype cart is comprised of a large LCD monitor attached to a Mac laptop, a webcam, and speakers. We also have a traditional analogue conference phone for audio-only phone meetings, and a plethora of audio/video/power cables, video adaptors for connecting to our projectors, and much more. Please email email@example.com for specific inquiries.
Who can check out
Equipment provided by Media Services is for the express use of the School of Education community. This means that all SOE staff, faculty, and any U-M student taking at least one class in the School of Education may use our equipment.
How to contact us
Any and all equipment provided by SOE Media Services should be scheduled in advance. You can submit a request in three different ways: walk-in service at the Brandon Center front desk, using the on-line submission form, emailing us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling us at 734.764.5427. Our normal operating hours are 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday - Thursday, and 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday. Our offices are located in the Brandon Center (Room 2007)
What we need from you
To check out equipment, you must provide:
- A valid University of Michigan ID and phone number for your first request. All subsequent requests do not require any additional identification/contact info.
- A specific day and time when you will be picking up and returning the equipment (within our maximum check-out period).* Return times MUST be the latest the equipment will be back in our possession.
- If delivery is requested, all of the above information along with a room number. Media Services can only deliver equipment within the School of Education building.**
- If the request equipment is for a large event, please consult with us at least one week in advance to go over your specific needs so we can ensure the best possible equipment and support on that day. This may include our suggesting going outside the School of Education for support of your event.
While walk-in service and support is available, we cannot guarantee that your equipment will be available, or that a staff member will be immediately on-hand for consulting. As such, we recommend setting up a reservation at least a week in advance, and preferably longer for large conferences or events.
* Due to limited availability and the size of the community we serve, certain pieces of equipment have a limited period of time that they can be checked out for. Specifically, digital audio recorders have a one-week limit, and video-cameras have a three-day limit. These rules relaxed during the spring/summer terms due to decreased demand, but for fall/winter these must be strictly adhered to. Our other equipment is generally intended for daily use, but for requests that fall outside this please send us an email and we can work with you to find a solution for longer-term rentals.
** We deliver equipment that requires complicated or involved set up only. Typically this includes special microphones, conferencing equipment, document cameras, etc. We do not deliver over-the-counter items such as cameras, or laptop adapters; equipment such as these can be picked up at the front desk in the Brandon Center.