Peace Corps Master's International

Degree: Master of Arts in Educational Studies

The Peace Corps Master’s International program at the School of Education combines the experience of working in educational settings abroad as a Peace Corps volunteer with an academic program that'll give you a broader and deeper knowledge of the issues you experienced while in the Peace Corps. The combined experience provides a rich base for future professional roles in education or public service.

Peace Corps Benefits

Program Structure

The Master of Arts in Educational Studies program requires 30 credits. If you enroll in this program, you will first complete one or two semesters (12-24 credits) of coursework on campus. Afterward, you will serve overseas in the Peace Corps for 27 months. You'll receive six credits for your overseas experience and associated assignments (see below). Following the overseas work, you'll return to campus to make a presentation about your experiences and complete any additional credits required for the total of 30 credits before receiving your master’s degree.

Choose from among four threads representing key knowledge and skills needed for twenty-first-century employment and leadership in education:

We offer a flexible program that supports new training and knowledge in emerging areas (represented by threads), disciplinary expertise (through electives in the School of Education and other units on campus), and hands-on professional experiences (through Peace Corps participation).  The following are example thread and course selections based on student interests:

Funding and Benefits

You'll graduate with the combination of an advanced degree and two years of significant international professional experience.  You'll also be eligible for all fellowship and assistantship opportunities open to all School of Education graduate students; in addition, you may earn up to six credits for service.

If you plan to teach upon completion of your degree, then you may be eligible for loans that are forgivable upon completion of two years of teaching experience.  Please contact the Educational Studies department for funding information:

Program Faculty

Program Support

Program Ambassadors

Within This Section


Contact the Office of Student Affairs at

Become An Ambassador

See Also: