Applying to the Master of Arts in Higher Education and Master of Business Administration Dual-Degree Program

Application Quick Facts

Deadline for Higher Education MA for International Students* December 1
Deadline for Higher Education MA for Domestic Students* January 1
GRE General Exam Required
GMAT required by Business School accepted in place of GRE
Average GRE scores of applicants
Scores older than five years not accepted. Institution code: 1839
152 quant
157 verbal
4.5 writing
Guideline undergraduate GPA
(4-point scale)
for last two years of coursework
Paid internships available Yes
Financial Aid available Yes
Applications for part-time students Yes
On-line, evening, or weekend courses No
Admission term
(when you start coursework)
Fall Only

Tuition per Term for SOE Graduate Students
(Fall/Winter 2017-2018)

Michigan resident $11,402
Nonresident $23,035

Additional mandatory fees may be assessed

* Check Ross School of Business for MBA deadlines & requirements

The application for Fall 2019 is now available on the Rackham Graduate School Website.

Applicants interested in the master of arts in higher education and master of business administration dual-degree program must file separate applications to and be admitted by both the Stephen M. Ross School of Business and the School of Education. Applicants must indicate on both applications that they are applying for this specific dual-degree program (please make sure the correct box is checked on the master of business administration application).

For dual-degree students only, the School of Education will accept the GMAT exam. Dual-degree students are not required to take the GRE. For admissions information for the Stephen M. Ross School of Business, please see the School of Business's admissions webpage.

This program, like all of the School of Education's graduate programs, is administered through the University of Michigan's Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies (Rackham) (as are most non-professional graduate degrees at the university). Rackham offers a host of resources and administrative support to help see you through from submitting your application to completion of your degree. We encourage you to follow these steps to begin the application process.

Register as a prospective student and obtain a UMID (University of Michigan ID) number. Having a UMID number will aid in the processing of your application. 

Attend a prospective student event such as a  webinar or schedule a visit.

Complete the Rackham online application. Review the dual-degree application checklist to ensure you submit a complete application. Please note the academic statement of purpose, personal statement of purpose, resume, and letters of recommendation must be submitted using the online application system. Hard copies will not be accepted.

Submit your GRE or GMAT scores. Test scores must be sent electronically to Rackham Graduate School (institution code: 1839) through Educational Testing Service (ETS).

Transcripts. Applicants should upload a copy of their official transcripts for all non-international bachelor’s, master’s, professional, or doctoral degrees, which you have earned or are in the process of earning, to the ApplyWeb application. (Do not upload generic academic records printed from your school’s website or student portal.) Additionally, if you have earned or are earning a degree from a non-U.S. institution, please request that the institution submit official transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School. Instructions for submitting official transcripts can be found here:

Students who have studied in a country outside of the U.S. should review the required credentials from non-U.S. institutions.

Check your application status. Use the Wolverine Access system to verify your application information, check the status of your application, and update your email address, home address, and telephone number.


It is imperative that students interested in admission to programs in the School of Education meet all deadlines for submitting applications and relevant materials. Deadlines may differ slightly for different programs. Deadlines can be found on our application deadlines page.

If you have questions, please review the School of Education frequently asked questions or contact the Office of Student Affairs.




Within This Section

Center for the
Study of Higher and
Postsecondary Education

8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

610 E. University Avenue, Room 2117
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259

Phone: 734.764.9472

Visit department webpage »

See Also: