Applying to the Undergraduate Elementary Teacher Education Program
We’re excited that you want to become a teacher. We are looking for students who are interested in making a significant and meaningful difference in the lives of young people; elementary teachers must attend to the social, personal, and physical needs of their students, as well as to their academic and intellectual needs. We hope you will apply to our programs and help us to create a lasting impact on education and future generations of students.
How do I Apply?
The application process for the undergraduate teacher education programs depends upon what type of applicant you are. Our bachelor's programs begin in the third year (commonly known as the junior year). Click on the best link below for your needs.
- Incoming Freshmen should apply to our Preferred Admissions Program on the Common Application, along with their application for entrance to another of the university’s schools (usually the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, The Residential College or The School of Music, Theatre, and Dance).
- Currently Enrolled University of Michigan Students should apply through the Cross-Campus Transfer Application during their sophomore year.
- External Transfer Students or students from other institutions should apply using the Common Application for Transfer Students.
- Those who already hold a bachelor’s degree may apply for our Second-Bachelor Degree Program and earn recommendation for provisional teaching certification. These students are eligible to transfer in 94 credits from a previous bachelor’s degree, enabling them to complete a bachelor’s degree in two years.
When should I apply?
For those looking to start our junior-level program, students should apply using the below deadline:
- To apply for the Fall Term (starts in September 2015), submit your complete application by May 31st. Applications are reviewed on a rolling-basis.
Who are we looking for?
Our Faculty Members review applications and are looking for highly-qualified applicants with a passion for their subject matter and experience working in multiple settings with children. Applications will be considered based on these criteria:
- Minimum GPA of 2.50
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Application Essays, especially the essay related to educational practices.
- Resume outlining work experience and history, particularly experience in working with children.
- For non-UM students: high school SAT/ACT scores and all non-UM transcripts, including fall term grades. Official copies should be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Ability to complete 54 semester hours before you enter the program
What is the best next step?
We encourage you to attend a Teacher Certification Information Session or make an appointment to learn more about the benefits of getting teacher certification at the University of Michigan, our undergraduate certification programs, and to meet program representatives.
With questions, contact:
The Office of Student Affairs
Within This Section
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
610 E. University Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259