Applying to the Undergraduate Elementary Teacher Education Program
We’re excited that you want to become a teacher. We are looking for students who are interested in making a significant and meaningful difference in the lives of young people; elementary teachers must attend to the social, personal, and physical needs of their students, as well as to their academic and intellectual needs. We hope you will apply to our programs and help us to create a lasting impact on education and future generations of students.
How do I Apply?
The application process for the undergraduate teacher education programs depends upon what type of applicant you are. Our bachelor's programs begin in the third year (commonly known as the junior year). Click on the best link below for your needs.
- Incoming Freshmen should apply to our Preferred Admissions Program on the Common Application, along with their application for entrance to another of the university’s schools (usually the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, The Residential College or The School of Music, Theatre, and Dance).
- Currently Enrolled University of Michigan Students should apply through the Cross-Campus Transfer Application during their sophomore year.
- External Transfer Students or students from other institutions should apply using the Common Application for Transfer Students.
- Those who already hold a bachelor’s degree may apply for our Second-Bachelor Degree Program and earn recommendation for provisional teaching certification. These students are eligible to transfer in 94 credits from a previous bachelor’s degree, enabling them to complete a bachelor’s degree in two years.
When should I apply?
Priority scholarship consideration for School of Education students will be awarded to those applicants who are admitted during our first round of admission.
- Round 1: February 1st, 2016
- Round 2: March 11th, 2016
- Round 3: April 29th, 2016
Priority funding deadlines for all aid administered by the Office of Financial Aid, can be learned by clicking this link.
What is the best next step?
We encourage you to make an appointment to learn more about the benefits of getting teacher certification at the University of Michigan, our undergraduate certification programs, and to meet program representatives.
With questions, contact:
The Office of Student Affairs
Within This Section
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
610 E. University Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1259