Elementary Teacher Education

How do I Apply?

The application process for the undergraduate teacher education programs depends upon what type of applicant you are. Our bachelor's programs begin in the third year (commonly known as the junior year). Click on the best link below for your needs.

*We highly recommend that you review the guidelines before starting the application. The cross-campus application does not permit students to save and return.

  • Incoming Freshman

    Apply to our Preferred Admissions Program on the Common Application, along with your application for entrance to another of the university’s schools (usually the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, The Residential College or The School of Music, Theatre, and Dance).

  • Current TEPA Students


  • Currently Enrolled UM Students

    Apply through the Cross-Campus Transfer Application during their sophomore year.

  • External Transfer Students

    Apply to the School of Education using the Transfer Common Application.

  • Those with a bachelor's degree

    Apply to our Second-Bachelor Degree Program and earn recommendation for provisional teaching certification. You're eligible to transfer in 94 credits from a previous bachelor’s degree, enabling you to complete a bachelor’s degree in two years.

How do I meet the BSE requirement?

There are a number of ways to meet the Michigan Department of Education's BSE requirement. Check out this video guide and find the best option for you!

When should I apply?

Priority scholarship consideration for School of Education students will be awarded to those applicants who are admitted during our first round of admission.

Round 1: February 1st, 2017
Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis through May 1, 2017

Financial Aid

Priority funding deadlines for all aid administered can be found at the Office of Financial Aid website.

What is the best next step?

We encourage you to make an appointment to learn more about the benefits of getting teacher certification at the University of Michigan, our undergraduate certification programs, and to meet program representatives.


Please contact:
The Office of Student Affairs
Schedule an appointment: www.booknow.so/umsoe